- 2 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 each vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- 6 inch piece of cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 9 large yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (plus more for caramelizing the top)
- 1 pound (approximately 2 cups) of pumpkin puree, freshly baked or canned (if fresh pumpkin is used, needs to be peeled and seeded)
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate shavings
PIn heavy bottom sauce pot bring cream, milk, cinnamon, vanilla bean and ginger to a boil. Let steep for 20 minutes. In a bowl, whip eggs, yolks, sugar and pumpkin until incorporated well. Bring cream mixture back to a boil. While whipping egg mixture, slowly add the hot cream mixture.
Ladle into 6 oz. oven proof containers, bake at 325 degrees in lower third of oven in water bath. Check in 20 minutes! Bake until custard firms up, but doesn’t soufflé. Cool and refrigerate. When ready to serve, evenly sprinkle with chocolate shaving and serve immediately.
Serves eight 6 oz. portions.